5 May 2012

Why is everything brown?



"I advise students on the subject of color as follows: If it looks good enough to eat, use it." - Abe Ajay


I had a very fun day today helping my seven year old daughter learn about colors. It all started with a simple enough question, "Why is every color I make brown?".
 "Brown?" I asked, "What do you mean every color is brown?"
 "Well," she said, "everytime I try to make a color it comes out a different brown"
 "Sounds like we need a lesson on mixing colors" I said.
 "Humph" grunted my teenage son, "I know all that already". So he wandered off to his dark pit and left us in peace. :D
So the two of us happily spent our time making two color wheels, one to hang on the wall above the painting area and one in my journal just in case the wall one goes missing. Of course it would have been easier to just buy other colors of paint but I think a valuable lesson would have been missed and time spent together having fun is always worth the effort don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. I bought few books about mixing colors, they're great. Although I knew about 50% of that, the other half is really interesting. Mixing watercolors is a great fun ;)

    ReplyDelete